A One-Stop Shop
Springboard Youth Academy bridges the gap to provide the necessary support that is lacking in the mainstream school system. Young asylum-seekers and refugees who have made the difficult journey to the UK – especially those who come alone – are saddled with many challenges common to starting a life somewhere new.
Though they are required to attend school, more often than not, they aren’t provided with the language and psychological support necessary to succeed in their new circumstances. They are simply not set up to thrive.
Coupled with budget cuts to tailored learning provision in schools, these young people often miss their chance to progress at a natural pace and to reach their fullest potential.
It was the first time I go to school in UK; after nine months ago I arrived and don’t go to school. I improved my language and conversation…I know English is difficult but I try – I enjoyed too much this class!
Our Team is Proud to
- Work holistically, guided by the understanding that young people have diverse and intersecting needs which should be addressed as a totality. This means that we consider mental health and systems literacy to be linked with physical health and social wellbeing.
- Deliver an educational programme that is in line with the principles of contemporary critical pedagogy, characterised by learner-led education spaces and collaborative exchange between learners and facilitators.
- Use a young person-centred approach, encouraging young people to take full ownership over their learning, development, goal-setting and achievements.
- Work in partnership with organisations across London to provide high-quality programming for new arrivals, create opportunities for collaboration between already established organisations and minimise the duplication of services across the city.
- Understand that each young person has a multiplicity of identities outside of his or her forced migration status.
- Provide a safe space for young people to get excited, have fun and build community in London!
Meet the Springboard Team!
We are lucky to benefit from the expertise of a diverse group of on-site staff and volunteers, as well as dedicated peer leaders – themselves returning graduates – who support each cohort of young people through the programme.